A/UX on APS HARD DISK

14508000 han at ucscf.UCSC.EDU
Tue Jan 15 08:51:30 AEST 1991

 I bought a 210 M Quantum Disk from Allied Peripheral Systems. As
I bought it for A/UX 2.0, I was dissapointed I coudn't format it for A/UX
with their software. I posted this problem to net,  I received many replies.
Thanks everybody. I get many references of succsess with Silverlining.
But someone metioned a problem in partioning.

Jon Hailton and others sugested patches to Apple HD setup.
Bob Prohaka kindly let me know Frederick Brown's patch to the Apple HD setup.
It was workig for 105M according to Bob.

It was
12 QUANTUM Q250 -> 01 QUANTUM Q250
that I tried with Apple HD setup v.2.0.
It has recognized the drive, but it failed to initialize the drive.
It formats for some time, then give an error message that It can't mount
the drive.
Anothor problem is that this patch is not possible for v.2.03 which is
recent version. I need v2.01 or later for A/ux 2.0.
When I look into the v2.03 there was 01 QUAMTUM Q250 was aleady there.
Jon Hamilton suggested to changed the name of drive.
So I tried several patches myself including his suggestion.
 First I found new drive name QUANTUM P80S, so changed it to quantum Q210S.
It does recognized the drive, but when I tried initialization, it gives
a messsage that it can't get required information from the drive.
Next I found there are serial number section says 980-80-94xx. I changed it
to 921-12-9004 (which is with 210M drive). Same results.
After I compare the P40S  and P80s part of the code,
I found a number which seems to be corresponds to drive size.
Hexavalue seems to be 80x8 M(bit). I changed it to 210x8 M. Same results.
Does anybody was succssesful in this?
Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Jong-Hoon OH
jhoh at joseph.ucsc.edu