A/UX 2.0 curses - buggy at the best ?

Jon W{tte d88-jwa at dront.nada.kth.se
Mon Jan 21 09:53:50 AEST 1991

I've tried to use the supplied AUX curses library, and run into
some troubles:

1) The input may allow 8bit characters after calling meta ( ), but
   the screen sure doesn't.

2) A_BOLD changes the spacing of the text as well as boldifying it.
   Making this work in a sensible way would be trivial. (This might
   be how CommandShell is handling the escape sequences. Still a
   piece of cake)

3) The keypad ( ) numbers don't work very well either - the arrow
   keys aren't reported until I press another key after them. This
   even though I use nodelay ( ) .

4) Pressing the left key using TERM mac2 (the large console window)
   results in immediate crash (some error reports rolled by too fast
   for me to read before I was logged out)

Maybe I would like a way to make CommandShell generate function
key codes as well. Wouldn't it be nice ?

The software has to be portable, so I can't use native mac
windowing :-(

This is all on a 8/80 IIfx with 13" 8bit color set to 1 bit and
various extra hardware. I compile with gcc, since the native CC
doesn't support ANSI style function prototypes. Otherwise the
A/UX 2.0 is fairly vanilla off the CD. It doesn't work in the
console emulator either, so you can't blame the mac environment.

Thanx for any answer,

                                                        h+

Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+ at nada.kth.se
:: This article is fake. If you take it for real, the _REAL_
:: Jon W{tte will sue you for slander. So there ! Nyah ! :-)