Need help configuring SLIP

John Dundas dundas at granite.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 26 02:55:29 AEST 1991

I desperately need help configuring SLIP for A/UX 2.0.  After waiting some three
months for the A/UX manuals to arrive (not Apple's fault), I am still not able
to successfully establish a SLIP connection between home and work.  The following
configuration is being used (the names and addresses have been changed...):

Work:
	Mac IIfx - A/UX, Telebit T2500 modem on /dev/tty0, ethernet, etc.
	Network address: 1.1.1.3  Node name:  work
	File "/etc/slip.config":
		1.1.1.4
	File "/etc/slip.hosts":
		1.1.1.4 myname

Home:
	Mac IIcx - A/UX, Telebit T2500 modem on /dev/tty0
	Network address: 1.1.1.4  Node name:  home
	File "/etc/slip.config"
		1.1.1.3
	File "/etc/slip.hosts":
		1.1.1.3 myname

Both systems have networking and SLIP configured into them, both list each other
in /etc/hosts.equiv, both list each other in /etc/hosts, mkslipuser has been run
on the work machine.

When I dial in to work, and start /etc/slip, something similar to the following
message appears (which is not doubt indicative of the problem, I am just too
inexperienced to recognize how to correct the situation):
	Connecting home (1.1.1.4) to network via home (1.1.1.4)...

If you can offer any suggestions I will be very appreciative.  My only guess at
this point is that /etc/slip.config on the work machine should read 1.1.1.3
instead.

Thanks ahead of time for any help...Please reply directly to
	dundas at salt.jpl.nasa.gov

John Dundas
Jet Propulsion Laboratory