Boot Problems!

Christina Fyock cfyock at hawk.ulowell.edu
Sun Jan 27 10:29:53 AEST 1991

Friday, I unpacked my brand-spanking-new A/UX 2.0 80-meg
hard drive.  Following the instructions, I attached it to my
ci, set the startup disk, rebooted and ran the A/UX startup app.
I changed the root password as per the instructions, and everything
seemed to be going well.  However, instead of the Finder coming up,
I got a flashing (as in crash) dialog box with no text in it.  I
rebooted, and now when A/UX finishes loading, a window comes up that
says that /mac/bin/Login is not executable, so it's using gettty.
However, I can't log on.  The password for root that I entered isn't
accepted, and neither is just <return>.  Using cat (under the startup
app), I don't see an entry for root in /etc/passwd.  I'm knowledgable
with Macs and Unix, but clueless (obviously :-) with A/UX.  Can anyone
give me a clue?

System config:
IIci, 20Meg RAM, 80Meg internal Mac disk, 80Meg external A/UX disk,
8.24GC card (4Meg RAM), Daystar cache card.

Since I'm booting from the Mac partition on the A/UX disk, my
system version and inits don't apply...

Please email me at
cfyock at hawk.ulowell.edu

Thanks,