Running NCSA Telnet under A/UX

Heidi Hammel hbh at athena.mit.edu
Tue Jan 8 05:03:06 AEST 1991

I'm writing to you all via NCSA Telnet running under A/UX 2.0 ....   :)

Again - my thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  There were
three key pieces of information I needed.

(1) Define the hardware properly in the NCSA Telnet configuration file.

       I changed hardware=AppleTalk to hardware=Ether

Thanks to Antonio Ordonez for that tip.

(2) Reconfigure the A/UX kernel for networking.

Some suggested /etc/newconfig nfs, others suggested /etc/newconfig bnet.
I just picked nfs because I've heard of it and used it before. It worked.
(I panicked momententarily  when it wanted a broadcast address. "hunh?"
But I just gave it my IP address number again ... seemed to work).

Thanks to Don Gilbert (and Tim Deeves and Stacey Irvine).

(3) NCSA Telnet under A/UX 2.0 doesn't recognize names, only IP addresses.

This is subtle - and could be a simple unix problem. When I'm logged in
as root, NCSA Telnet DOES recognize the names.  But when I'm logged in
as me (hbh), it does NOT. But it DOES telnet fine when I give it the
IP address.   My /etc/host file looks fine (to my inexperienced eyes)
and is readable by user, group, and world.  I just redefined all my
defaults to IP addresses instead of names; everything is (apparently)
okay now.  Any guesses on this problem?

Thanks to Thomas Lenggenhager for this info.

Note added in press ;-): Matthias Urlichs says it's an NCSA Telnet bug -
but then why does it work fine when the user is root?  If it were a bug
with the way NCSA Telnet communicates with the "external" world, I would
have thought that the username shouldn't matter .....

Some other comments......

Francisco DeJesus said: "You don't need to run NCSA Telnet; just open a
command window and run regular unix telnet."   Welllll, yes and no.  That
does work, sort of.  But certain commands don't work under regular telnet.
For example, when I type "rn" (to read news),  I get the error message "no
termcap entry found." Under NCSA telnet, "rn" works fine.  So the defaults
for regular telnet are not correct (I guess).  Also, under NCSA Telnet I
can easily define the location and color of my windows to other machines.
The key word in that sentence is "easily."  I'm sometimes logged into three
different machines at once, and it helps to have them color coded.

I haven't tried eliminating the non-32-bit-clean message yet.  It's
annoying, but doesn't interfere with working. That's the next thing ;-).
Things like "ResEdit" scare me ... ;-) Remember, I _said_ I was new to
the Mac World .....

I don't have any manual which has a Chapter 9 "Setting up accounts and
peripherals in A/UX."   :-(  I also don't have the A/UX Command reference
either, or anything related to networking. Amazing I've gotten as far as
I have, eh? ;-).  I got TWO sets of the intro manuals (System Overview,
Getting Started, Communication User's Guide, User Interface) - guess I was
ripped off.  These intro ones don't go as deep as I seem to have sunk so
far ;) and it looks like I'm just sinking deeper and deeper ....... ;) ;)

heidi
--
------   Heidi B. Hammel      (hbh at athena.mit.edu)     MIT 54-316
--       Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences