Free disk space that isn't there!

Peter Steinauer peter at csn.org
Sun Jan 20 06:10:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan18.165524.4327 at chinet.chi.il.us> henry at chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>I recently ran into a problem and wonder if anyone knows a solution.
>While working on compiling a couple large programs, I started getting
>the error: Out of disk space on file system /usr (or something to
>that effect).  I did a df which showed that /usr had over 10,000 free
>blocks (> 5 MB!!).  However, doing a df as a normal user (I was root
>for compiling) in another window showed 0 free blocks on /usr!!!
>
>The other file systems showed discrepancies of 15-30% in free space
>depending on whether or not I was root.  Why is there free space only
>discernable by root, but not accessable by root?  What's going on
>here?  I'm confused.
>--
>  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
>                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
> Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry at chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

Berkley unix file systems have a 'dead zone' on each partition that only
	root can see. This block is set aside as protection so that the
	disk partitions don't fill up beyond a 'safe' level... (Older
	versions didn't handle full file systems very well :-<... )

I hope that answers your question to some extent...

		Pete Steinauer
			University of Colorado Boulder
			CU UnixOps - Systems
			Apple Computer CU Student Rep...