Question on Partitioning Hard drive

Andy Joe andy at zeno.mn.org
Fri Jan 18 10:17:09 AEST 1991

Current system:

Mac IIci, Color Monitor, CD-ROM, CDC WREN V with a Unimac enclosure,
AUX 2.0, and Storware (software for formating/partitioning the harddrive).

I have several questions concerning AUX 2.0 and partitioning a
hard drive.  Firstly, I am wondering if there is any problems (pros
or cons) with setting up a 450 meg partition for the Root & Usr,
a 18 meg swap, and a 3 meg Eschatology.  I am actually running with
a 450 meg Root & Usr and a 18 meg swap, but do not have the 3 meg
Eschatology partition due the formatting software (see problem # 2
below).  The system seems to be running fine, but I have heard rumors
that having a huge root & usr partition may be unwise.  Is this true
and can anybody explain why.  I would rather have a just one partition
for AUX, instead of having to mount another usr2 file system.

My second problem concerns the Storware partitioning software, and the
Eschatology partition.  The software allows you to create partitions on
the hard drive for a 40-meg AUX system, a 80-meg AUX system; or
a partition of any size with the following types: a misc AUX partition
(unreserved 1), a Root & Usr partition, a swap partition, or a Eschatology 2
partition.  Therefore as stated above, I do not have a auto-recovery
partition (who says you need on anyways, huh?? :-> ).  (I have spoken
to Unimac, who were very helpful and they are attempting to fix this problem)
I would like to know if it is possible to use 'dp' to modify the partition
(I created it as an Eschatology 2 partition in hopes that AUX 2.0 would
reconize it) to be the correct one.  I've read the manual page and I
think it can be done, but I am not sure what the correct parameters
or arguments are.

My last question concerns the 100 meg Mac partition that I created
on the WREN V.  It is visiable when I am running under the Mac OS, but
when I boot up AUX, only the original 80 meg Quatum drive (Mac partition)
and the root folder shows ups.  Is there some magic I have to perform or
do I have to RTFM? (If so, then I'll have to purchase TFM, in the meantime,
could you tell me what I need to do)

Thanxs.