Ethernet Crashes AUX

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 03:59:26 AEST 1991

Adams - 235-7459) writes:
>>I have a Mac IIfx, with AUX 2.0.  All seems well, *until* I
>>connect to the Ethernet with AUX running.  The Ethernet card
>>(A Kinetics Etherport ) works fine with Mac OS, but as soon
>>as AUX launches I get the message:
>>
>>panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
>>double panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
>>
>>and the system is dead, dead, dead.  If I boot AUX and then
>>connect the Ethernet I get the same message, a weird screen pattern
>>and again, a dead system.  Anybody have any ideas?

Your problem is almost certainly that the MacOS driver for the card does not
disable it when A/UX is booted, and your A/UX system is hit by interrupts it
cannot handle. Use the Chooser under MacOS to select network "Built-in" and
try again. Once you have a correctly configured A/UX kernel including a driver
for your card then you *might* get away with re-enabling the board for use
under MacOS.

> ...Hopefully Apple turns up with an interface which will be easier to support
>by third party products under A/UX as well.

The intended interface was probably known to Kinetics but since Apple didn't
yet use it, Kinetics didn't ship it. Kinetics was swallowed up by Novell, the
rights to the boards were sold elsewhere (Dayna Systems?) and generally all
support for existing boards vanished. The only thing where Apple is at fault
is that nobody seemed to know that A/UX needs to have the boards physically
disabled until the A/UX drivers are ready to go. I did get Mac DTS to agree
that this is a suitable subject for a TechNote and one should eventually
appear.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)