permissions in home directory

Francisco X DeJesus dejesus at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu
Fri Jan 18 04:26:03 AEST 1991

    Thanks to everyone who responded to my query so quickly. The general
consensus as to why this happens is because the user owns the directory and
has permission to write (thus make changes such as removing files) in it.
Some suggested using the 'sticky bit', but I see this is not implemented in
the Unix port I'm using. Therefore the best solution (pointed out to me by
several people) would be to have the guest's home dir owned by root without
permission for guest to write, and put in a subdirectory in which the guest
CAN make his changes. This allows the dot-files to be secure and still
permits the guest user to write (after putting a 'cd subdir' in the .login
for simplicity). Again, thanks to all who posted and emailed me...

--