Copying file systems

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue May 28 23:31:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991May28.122741.2230 at am.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc at albert.dsir.govt.nz writes:
}
}|> 	1. This method, more specifically restore (I think) had trouble
}|> 	   "copying" named pipes. In my configuration there were only
}|> 	   2 (lib/cron/FIFO and lpd/AppleTalk/pipe) and after the dump/restore
}|> 	   I simply copied them over... restore said something about an
}|> 	   "unknown mode 010xxx" where xxx was either 660 or 666.
}|>
}|> 	2. All symbolic links were (re-)created with an owner and group of
}|> 	   root. Of course, this really doesn't matter, since the owner, group
}|> 	   and mode of a link doesn't mean all that much, but it still is
}|> 	   a change over what the file-system looked like before...
}|>
}These aren't flaws with the dump method. They are BUGS with the dump and
}restore programs. Better read up on that SPR stuff.
}

Oh great... and what other bugs are there in dump/restore? Must I list every
file on my system and make sure that the owner, group and modes are correct?
Did dump/restore not copy other files and "forget" to tell me? Should I stay
awake at night pondering the REAL status of my new system??
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.4
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as a man
 and then compare the relative brain size, we know find that the penguin's
 brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it WAS!"