Cave Men and Dinosaurs (& A/UX future)

Don Gilbert gilbertd at cricket.bio.indiana.edu
Sat May 25 23:15:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991May25.052820.27220 at am.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc at albert.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>Have you noticed that with time, A/UX is looking more like MacOS and MacOS is
>looking like A/UX? I would like to see this continue till they converge
>and A/UX is dropped. Then MacOS will be unix compatible and buyers will not
>buy SunOS when for the same price they can get MacOS on superior hardware.
>Then it will be a kind of MacOS/Motif/OpenLook war where MacOS clearly wins
>since it has everything the others have plus thousands of MacOS programs.

Yes -- I think this is where Apple could make another big impact in the
system software/user interface area.  Perhaps the quote in MacWeek that
Apple hopes to be one of the top 2 *Unix* vendors in the next few years
is a clue that Apple thinks so also (System 8 == A/UX 3 on a few million
macs would have an impact).
                                -- Don
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu