Bug in A/UX 2.0.1

Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more ksand at Apple.COM
Sun May 5 13:16:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991May3.141724.23954 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca> mark at cita.toronto.edu writes:

>Are you saying that, despite the fact that Mac files have file types
>associated with them, the finder nonetheless uses the *name* of the
>file to decide whether something is a driver or not?  If so, isn't
>this a horrible botch even in the MacOS world?  And regardless, it's
>totally unacceptable in an A/UX environment, given the preponderance
>of files whose names begin with '.' under UNIX.

>Is something terribly wrong with A/UX in this regard, or have I just
>missed a joke that floated over my head?

Compability means that every feature and every *limitation/bug* has
to be implemented 1:1. This is true of network protocols, CPU design,
operating system emulation and document architectures.

Kent Sandvik, who has seen vt220 emulation packages that will
break because they fixed a DEC bug.

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.