trouble with telnet

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed May 29 20:29:00 AEST 1991

In <5439 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski)
writes:

>It's better for large/complex networks to have your workstations run in.routed
>with the "-q" flag. In this case, in.routed just LISTENS for routing info and
>doesn't send any. Using this method, you have just a few big machines on your
>net handle routing and the rest just follow them.

You don't need the -q flag if you only have one network interface (LocalTalk
doesn't count for this), since routed knows that it doesn't have anything
useful to tell other people under these circumstances.

The official way to get a default route when using routed is to put an entry
for the default route in the /etc/gateways file: we too find that this tends
to time out, so my inclination is to use "route add defaults yourgateway 1" to
set up a permanent default route, then used routed to listen for local
information.

The correct place to put this is /etc/inittab: something like

net4:2:once:/usr/etc/route add 0.0.0.0 routehost 1  # force default route

If the routed is useful to you, then also have the standard inittab line

net4:2:wait:/etc/in.routed      # set to "wait" for routing

The order in which you do these is irrelevant.

William Roberts                 Internet:  liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam at qmw-dcs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  +44 71-975 5234 (Fax: +44 81-980 6533)