Itsy bitsy 2.0.1 bug

Tony Cooper tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz
Wed May 22 18:13:24 AEST 1991

Since traffic is sl light in the newsgroup and people have been complaining,
I thought I'd report my major bug discovery in A/UX 2.0.1.

When you are running Commandshell you should be able to click on any object
on the desktop and you will be switched into the Finder right? Well clicking
on a disk icon works. Clicking on an application icon works. Drag an
application icon onto a disk icon so that the two are on top of each other
(don't drag too far) and click on either and it works. But drag a disk icon
on top of an application icon and no matter how hard you click on the disk
icon you won't be switched into the Finder. I think this bug ought to be
fixed before people start switching to Windows 3 in disgust.

By the way, our nameserver went down and so I can't connect to anything
without doing the nameserving manually. But the Suns on our net are doing
just fine since they automatically use /etc/hosts when the nameserver goes.
A/UX doesn't do that. I'm jealous.

Once our gateway went nuts and started responding to things it shouldn't have.
So when an ethernet card is initialised and sends out an arp request to find
its internet address the gateway responds to the request. So the card thinks
that there is another machine out there with that address and gets upset and
won't initialise. What is supposed to happen is that the card responds to
its own request. No problems here - all cards initialise themselves this
way (I think). The problem is that when our gateway went mad our Suns were
fine since they were already initialised. But my A/UX system stopped talking
to the net even though it was already initialised. So somewhere my card
tried to initialise itself even though already initialised. I was running
X11R4 all the time so there wasn't any need to reinitialise. So I'm doubly
jealous of the Suns.

Cheers,
Tony Cooper