trouble with telnet

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue May 28 04:25:05 AEST 1991

In <1991May17.122036.10011 at cs.utk.edu> aib at ornl.gov (Buddy Bland) writes:

>If the host you are trying to reach is not on the
>same network or subnet, you must define a route with the "route add"
>command.  You may need to define a default route where you send all packets
>which are not on your local network.  This router will then forward the
>packets to the proper destination.  Look in Chapter 7 of the "A/UX Network
>System Admin" manual and at the man page for the route command for more
>information.

Note that the route command manipulates kernel tables directly, but that the
routed process (/etc/in.routed, set to "wait" in /etc/inittab on the CDROM
distribution of 2.0) doesn't see these changes. It is therefore a bad idea to
use both the routed and the route command. Note that netstat -r cheats and
shows you the kernel tables, NOT what the routed believes. Everybody ships the
same crass code, so don't blame Apple for this one!

I personally recommend not bothering with the routed at all, expecially if
there is only one way out to the big wide world: just use route to set a
default route by typing

    route add 0.0.0.0 ourgateway 1

where ourgateway is the name or IP address of your gateway to the outside
world. This could even replace the in.routed line in your inittab.

It is also in your best interests to participate in the Domain Name Service,
expecially if you have Internet access. The A/UX documentation on this is a
stright (but attributed) copy of the BSD documentation: they didn't even
change the references to /etc/rc.local (sigh).

PS. The route/routed source of confusion only really matters on machines which
are routers, e.g. those with more than one network interface. This includes
slip.

William Roberts                 Internet:  liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam at qmw-dcs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  +44 71-975 5234 (Fax: +44 81-980 6533)