Sharing Laserwriters

William R. Pearson wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU
Sat May 18 06:49:22 AEST 1991

	I have an Apple Laserwriter that I switch between an UNIX box
(via rs232) and a Macintosh (via appletalk).  Both machines are connected
to the university wide ethernet.  When connected to the UNIX box, the
Laserwriter is used to print jobs from several other unix computers.
I would like to disconnect the Laserwriter from the UNIX box (it serves
no other purpose but to allow other unix machines to print on this
Laserwriter) and leave it connected to the Macintosh, but still be
able to use the Laserwriter to print from unix machines on the
ethernet.

	How can I do this?

	I have been told that I must get an Appletalk/Ethernet router
(Gatorbox or Kinetics box), or that it might be possible to run AUX on
the Macintosh and connect the Laserwriter to the Mac with a simple
serial port.  The first option seems surprisingly expensive and
complicated, since I only want to connect ONE Mac to the printer.
The second option is slightly less expensive but potentially more
complicated - and I am not certain that it will do what I want.

	Is there no simple solution to this problem?  I would have
thought that it was a common one.

Bill Pearson