Definite bug in A/UX 2.0.1 SF Package

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue May 28 04:57:50 AEST 1991

In <1991May26.110152.27421 at am.dsir.govt.nz> tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony
Cooper) writes:

>I have written this report in lieu of sending a SPR (since I'm not
>sure how to send SPR's). So if an Apple person reads this please
>take note (and please fix it).

The stuff about SPRs seemed to go with the beta releases. At the considerable
risk of discussing in public aspects of Beta systems, here is the little
script I use to create an SPR:

# Fill in bits of an spr form to match the system

FORM=/tmp/spr
SPR_PREFIX=/users/system/liam/aux/sprs/spr
NEXT=/users/system/liam/aux/sprs/NEXT

cat >$FORM <<'----'

                   ((( A/UX  SOFTWARE PROBLEM REPORT )))

                -- FILL IN ALL THE FIELDS IN [brackets] --

SUMMARY:        [please enter a brief 1 line summary of the problem]

SUBMITTED BY:   William Roberts (liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk)
COMPANY:        Computer Science Department, QMW, University of London
ADDRESS:        Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, England
PHONE #:        +44 1 975 5250

----
echo "DATE:          " `/bin/date` >>$FORM
echo "SYSTEM NAME:   " `/bin/hostname` `uname -m` >>$FORM
echo "RELEASE:       " `/bin/uname -srv` >>$FORM

echo "COMPONENT: ?"
read COMPONENT

echo "COMPONENT:     " $COMPONENT >>$FORM
echo "CMPNT VERSION: " >>$FORM

version $COMPONENT >>$FORM 2>&1
cat >>$FORM <<'----'

REPEAT BY:

OTHER:
----

vi $FORM

cat >>$FORM <<'----'

   <  RESOLUTION   TO BE ENTERED BY THE PERSON RESOLVING THE PROBLEM>

 (1)RESOLVED               (2)NOT A BUG      (3)COULD NOT REPRODUCE
 (4)DOCUMENTATION PROBLEM  (5) SUGGESTION OR COMMENT

 ASSIGNED TO:
 RESOLUTION:            enter 1 character from the set above
 RESOLVED BY:
 DATE RESOLVED:
 SEVERITY LEVEL: choose 1 of 4          1) SEVERE CAUSES - FATAL ERROR
                                        2) MAJOR FUNCTIONAL DEFECT
                                        3) MINOR FUNCTIONAL DEFECT
                                        4) COSMETIC
 RELEASE # CONTAINING FIX:

 SOURCE FILES AFFECTED:

 BINARY FILES AFFECTED:

 DOCUMENTATION FILES AFFECTED:

 OTHER:
----

NUMBER=`cat $NEXT`
expr $NUMBER + 1 >$NEXT

cat $FORM > $SPR_PREFIX$NUMBER

echo created $SPR_PREFIX$NUMBER

I tend to run this on the system where I've recreated the bug - change the
relevant details to suit your name, address etc. I also find it helps to
number these things yourself, so that you can keep track of them if nothing
else.

The place you mail them to varies from time to time. Once upon a time it used
to be reports at aux.support.apple.com, but now I just send them to my local
friendly Developer Technical Services, in my case UK.DTS at applelink.apple.com.

The advantage of mailing these things to DTS is that they tend to acknowledge
them: particularly during beta testing the reports at aux.support.apple.com
address seemed to be a black hole, even though things did get fixed in later
releases.

Is this all correct, you Apple folks? Would you rather have bug reports
submitted like this than random postings on comp.unix.aux? Is there anything
important that I've forgotten?

William Roberts                 Internet:  liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam at qmw-dcs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  +44 71-975 5234 (Fax: +44 81-980 6533)