System 7.0 and A/UX

Glenn Austin glenn at gla-aux.uucp
Wed May 22 09:19:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991May16.105935.14623 at agate.berkeley.edu>, dpassage at soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) writes:
> Will System 7 and A/UX coexist with eachother happily?  If not, why not, and
> when?  I've got A/UX on order (my "dealer" is the UC Berkeley student sales
> program, who apparently don't know the difference between a CD-ROM and the
> Led Zeppelin boxed set), and want to know if it's worthwhile to install
> System 7 on my Mac now or if I'll have to rip it all out when I finally get
> my copy of A/UX.
>
> Or here's a possible scenario:  System 7 on my internal drive with A/UX in a
> Unix partition and System 6 in a MacOS partition on my external drive.
> Will it work?  Will I be able to easily switch-boot among the three?  Or is
> there a better solution?

The default for setting up A/UX is to have a small (1-2MB) partition with
the Mac OS (6.0.5 for A/UX 2.0, 6.0.7 for A/UX 2.0.1) for booting in preparation
to running A/UX.  You can't boot A/UX directly -- you need to start an
application called "A/UX Startup" (formerly SASH) to launch A/UX.  So the
answer to your question is yes.  Install System 7 on your internal drive
and install System 6.0.x and A/UX on your external drive (or vice versa).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn at gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |