Cave Men and Dinosaurs

Kent Sandvik ksand at apple.com
Mon May 27 09:19:25 AEST 1991

In article <numb.675098076 at el_greco>, numb at cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matt Newman) writes:

> Flame On:
>
> I'm getting more and more fed up of trying to bring software from usenet
> up on our A/UX machines. So few things compile without considerable massaging
> I type `uname -a` and get :-
> A/UX pinkruby 2.0 SVR2 mc68030

> Help! When are Apple going to make a serious comitment to Unix and bring their
> OS upto date, alot of vendors are now shipping SVR4 and Apple is very proud
> to manage to ship SRV2 :-(.

Hehe, I remember when I was a young engineer and always complained that the vendor
did not ship the latest, flashy version. Little did I know. If you check the features
and compare with SysV.4 you will notice that there are things missing, but not that
many as you would expect...  As for porting, you need to sweat in the UNIX world;
the quality of the public domain code is usually the main issue concerning porting
activities, and I don't think many are writing POSIX compliant PD code yet.

As for SunOS, I remember one nice sunny day in Sydney, when we found out that the
SysV emulation libraries were badly broken in SunOS, and we had to rewrite the i/o
parts of our app in front of the customer for the port...

Kent Sandvik, DTS Platforms Group, Apple