derez peculiarity

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Sat May 4 10:52:27 AEST 1991

sysmark at physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:

>Why on earth can't I use derez if I'm not invoking it from a window on
>the console?  If I rlogin onto an A/UX system from my workstation, and

Because, to a large extent, it's really a MacOS application disguised as
a Unix program, and thus needs to be able to talk to the MacOS emulation
environment.

>First of all, what is /dev/uinter0?  It's not documented in section 7 of
>the System Administrator's Reference manual.  At the moment, it's owned
>by the person who is currently logged in on the console; protection mode
>is 0600.

It's one of the mysterious undocumented devices used by the MacOS-under-Unix
environment.  It's mode 600 owned by the guy logged into the console
because he's (presumably) on there running a Mac program...

>Secondly, why does derez even care about /dev/uinter0?  Is there a good
>reason (and, if so, what?), or is it just a bug?

I gather that rez and derez were basically quick ports of the MPW tools of
the same name, and thus are basically "MacOS" programs.  I wouldn't call it
a bug, but it's definitely a questionable design decision.  And they definitely
should have put in the man pages in large red letters "WARNING: REQUIRES
ACTIVE MacOS ENVIRONMENT IN ORDER TO RUN."

>Finally, what other A/UX commands have this (mis)feature?

None offhand that I recall, except for ones like "launch" and "CommandShell"
which don't make any sense to invoke unless you are on the console.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Elvis has left Bettendorf!"