How do I recover from filesystem full?

Andy Hazlewood andy at slcs.slb.com
Wed May 22 07:35:21 AEST 1991

In article <28344A54.19860 at orion.oac.uci.edu>, rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
|> While running postinstall for the 2.0.1 upgrade my mac ran out
|> of disk space in its default 80 meg root partition.  The error
|> was mine for not removing inc.cpio.Z before running postinstall.
|>
|> Now, the question is, which way is out?  I removed inc.cpio.Z and
|> tried to log in as root, but there is no mouse on login, which
|> makes it hard to start commandshell and redo the upgrade.
|>
|> can I run postinstall from sash?
|>
|> bob

I had the same basic problem in a lab at my school.  The upgrade was complicated
by the NFS mounting of /usr by each machine.  At any rate, I had to reboot each
machine before I ran postinstall, and when the login prompt came up, there was
no mouse!  Anyway, the easy way around this is to hit command-s to bring up
the session type and use the arrow keys to pick a console emulator session.