Bug in A/UX 2.0.1

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Sat May 4 10:42:40 AEST 1991

sysmark at aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>Are you saying that, despite the fact that Mac files have file types
>associated with them, the finder nonetheless uses the *name* of the
>file to decide whether something is a driver or not?  If so, isn't

Actually, I believe it's the low-level file-handling code in MacOS, so
*every* MacOS app gets hit by it, not the finder.

>this a horrible botch even in the MacOS world?  And regardless, it's

It *is* a horrible botch, IMHO.  They shoulda gone the Unix approach and had
device special files.  Alas, it's 7 years too late to fix this...

>totally unacceptable in an A/UX environment, given the preponderance
>of files whose names begin with '.' under UNIX.

Rather annoying, yes.  A/UX does make some attempt to get around this; if
you notice on a Finder display of ones home directory under A/UX, one will
see the usual .-files (except for "." and "..") with the "." changed to the
"big-dot" character in the extended char set used by MacOS.  Alas, the
translation isn't implemented the other way.  It may not be *possible* to
do it the other way cleanly, as there's probably entirely too much code,
inside MacOS and out, that *depends* on being able to open those drivers.

>Is something terribly wrong with A/UX in this regard, or have I just
>missed a joke that floated over my head?

The basic problem is one common to lots of environments, namely mapping one
filesystem with one set of restrictions on name content/format to another.
The same sort of thing happens with people running MS-DOS and mounting NFS
filesystems from Unix hosts, or running VP/ix or similar MS-DOS emulation
packages under Unix.  No matter what algorithm you choose for mapping
filenames from one FS to another, somebody's going to get screwed by it.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Elvis has left Bettendorf!"