Information about TORONTO CUG '90

Dr. Edmund West yedwest at PLUTO.CLSC.TORONTO.EDU
Thu Dec 21 08:06:00 AEST 1989

[The following document contains information about the Toronto meeting of the

Cray Users' Group. The conference program is not yet available. An information

packet will be mailed in the near future. Anyone interested in attending the

conference who has not received the packet by the end of January should contact

me then.]

                        An Invitation to TORONTO CUG '90

   I am pleased to announce that the next meeting of the Cray User's Group will

be hosted by the Ontario Centre for Large Scale Computation at the University of

Toronto. At this time I would like to share with you the following advance

information about the conference and its location.

   The meeting will be held on April 9-13, 1990, at the Harbour Castle Westin

Hotel in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The conference theme is "Network

Supercomputing". Here is the tentative schedule of events:

Date         Morning          Afternoon                    Evening

Sun,  8-Apr                   Executive/Registration

Mon,  9-Apr  Reg./SICs        Reg./SICs/BOFs/Tutorials     Reception

Tue, 10-Apr  CUG meetings     CUG meetings                 Optional event

Wed, 11-Apr  CUG meetings     CUG meetings                 Banquet

Thu, 12-Apr  CUG meetings     CUG meetings                 Optional event

Fri, 13-Apr  CUG meetings     Niagara Falls Excursion

   The conference hotel is in Toronto's Harbourfront area overlooking Lake

Ontario and the Toronto Islands to the south and downtown Toronto to the north.

The hotel is located at the foot of Yonge Street, Toronto's main thoroughfare.

It is only a short walk to most of the city's major attractions. The best known

of these attractions is certainly the CN Tower, which lays claim to being "the

world's tallest free-standing structure". On a clear day the view from the

observation deck is spectacular.

   The main shopping areas are on or near Yonge Street. The famous Eaton Centre

shopping mall (with more than 300 shops) is at the center of it all, but only a

short distance away there are hundreds of other establishments waiting to

welcome the dedicated shopper.

   There is certainly no danger of having nothing to do. Toronto has more than

its share of first rate restaurants, many of which take their cue from the

city's numerous ethnic communities. (Toronto's Chinatown is the second largest

in North America to site one example.) Top quality American, European, Asian and

Carribean cuisine can be found in abundance.

   There are also many theatres and concert halls. The Royal Alexandre is

showing "Les Miserables" and "The Phantom of the Opera" recently opened at the

new Pantages Theatre. Roy Thompson Hall is the scene of many world class concert

performances. And the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team will be playing their home

games in the fabulous SkyDome, Toronto's new stadium with a retractable roof. If

there is sufficient interest, we will attempt to obtain tickets for CUG

attendees to one or more of these "optional events".

   Although arrangements for the Wednesday night banquet are not yet complete,

we hope to make it a memorable evening. If our plans come to fruition, the night

will be musical and mysterious, and a very entertaining night for all.

   On Friday afternoon after the meetings have been adjourned Cray Canada will

host an excursion to Niagara Falls. I recommend that you plan to stay in Toronto

long enough to take the trip. The Falls are only about 90 minutes away, and

seeing them is well worth the journey.

   The Harbour Castle Westin is a large hotel and I am sure you will find that

its conference facilities are excellent. A large contingent of rooms has been

set aside for CUG attendees at a special rate of $130-145 (Canadian dollars) per

room per night. For the benefit of government employees who are subject to

travel expense restrictions we have reserved a few less expensive rooms at a

small mid-town hotel. Note that hotel rooms in Toronto are subject to a 5% room

tax.

   Additional information about TORONTO CUG '90 will be distributed in January.

In the meantime feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the

conference. Toronto is an exciting, vibrant, modern city and there is no doubt

you will enjoy your visit. I hope to see you there next April.

Dr. Edmund West,

Chairman, Local Arrangments Committee

Toronto CUG '90

255 Huron St. (MP345)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A7

Telephone: 416-978-4085 (voice), 416-978-6110 (fax)

E-mail: yedwest at pluto.clsc.utoronto.ca, YEDWEST at UTORSCS.BITNET