Vectorizing C compilers

eric at cosmos.ph.utexas.edu eric at cosmos.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 19 01:09:42 AEST 1989

What is the state of the art regarding vectorizing C compilers
for Crays and other "minisuper" machines like Alliant, Convex, etc.?
I have seen one or two C compilers (on a Unicos Cray) that vectorize
loops like

	for(j = 0; j < n; j++)
		y[j] = x[j] + z[j];

but never a C compiler that can vectorize something like

	for(j = 0; j < n; j++)
		y[j] = sqrt(x[j]);

even where a suitable Fortran mathematical library is available.

I am trying to develop some software for studying dynamical systems
that will use the X11 window system for interactive graphics.  However,
the code will be numerically intensive, and I need to use vector
hardware efficiently.  I prefer to write the program in C rather than
a mixture of C and Fortran.

Any advice out there in netland?

--Eric Kostelich