GaAs CMOS in Cray-3 ?

Alexander Mulder alexm at microsoft.UUCP
Tue Jul 25 02:11:51 AEST 1989

The most striking feature of the Cray-3 for me is that it is built using
GaAs CMOS. At least, that is what I've heard every time the Cray-3 was
discussed. Now, I always thought that this just could not be true, because
the electron mobility in GaAs may be much higher than that in Si, the
hole mobility is MUCH less than Si. Still, the steady stream of information
about the Cray-3 in GaAs CMOS continues. Something of that must be true ?
Do they (Cray Computer, that is) use some magic compound for their P-devices ?

If you know, please explain !!

--- Alexander Mulder -------------------------------- uunet!microsoft!alexm --