Cfront port to Cray Unicos

Seemong Tan stan at brutus.cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 11 09:24:00 AEST 1989

I have managed to port both cfront 1.2 and cfront 2.0 to a Cray
running Unicos 5.0.  For anyone about to try this, the porting notes
by David Whitney of CRI are an *excellent* guide (thanks David).

A couple of comments:

The command for building libraries in Unicos
is bld(1), so all makefile lines with "ar ..." in them for constructing
libraries should be changed to bld.

If you don't have cfront 2.0 running on a host machine already, and
want to bring 2.0 up on the Cray, make it on the host first.  It is
a real pain to use 1.2 to try bringing 2.0 up (that's what I did :-().

Internal errors in the Cray cc compiler can be removed if you compile
with the -holevel_0 option.  I looked at craysrc and it was trying to
do some type of optimization when it barfed, and -holevel_0 turns off
all optimization.  This should be more convenient than using the
Standard C compiler scc and then rearranging the output, for the few
files that won't compile with regular cc.

That's it for now, and if a lot of people want something more detailed,
I'll write it up.

stan.

PS:
As to why I did the port:
We are interested in putting up a distributed file system on
the NCSA cray for mass storage purposes.  An object oriented file
system in C++ ("Choices") has been written which we'll use as a testbed
for the MSS.