UNICOS cdbx problem

Betty Jo Armstead xxbja at csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov
Thu May 3 00:13:54 AEST 1990

I have written several C programs that run on UNICOS.  In writing
these program I used dbx to debug the programs.  Recently I found that
dbx has been replaced with cdbx on UNICOS.  This seemed fine with me as
many of the functions available with dbx were available with cdbx.  However,
when I went to use cdbx (Release 5.1 of UNICOS), the program simply looped
in some read routine.  I later found that cdbx will not work if your program
has any pipes or forks (this includes calls to getcwd).  I find this very
disturbing.  I now have to resort to adding if (DEBUG == 1) and prints and
I can no longer put stops in my programs.  I am not asking to debug the
forked processes (only the main line program).  Does anyone have a solution
to this problem.  (I doubt that our installation would agree to importing
the original dbx).  Any help will be much appreciated.

I have just been informed that my return address was invalid, so I
will re-post and correct the address.

I have also received one suggestion of how to get around the problem.
Also, our SE has informed me that Cray should have a fix soon.