How to use an SSD?

David Heisterberg djh at osc.edu
Wed May 30 02:49:16 AEST 1990

In article <1019 at orange19.qtp.ufl.edu>, bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) writes:
> How are SSDs presently used (under UNICOS)?

Of course, you're probably familiar with how we use ours, Dave.  We have
a 128MW SSD used as cache, and I believe swapping.  There are times that
I'd like to experiment with it - like using it for 2-electron integrals.
But for that case it's not really big enough to be used by more that one
person at a time.

I tend to to think that unless a very similar SSD-like device is available
on a wide variety of machines it is not worth the effort for end users to
put much time in optimizing a program for SSD usage.

Relatedly (and this should probably be a separate thread), I find it
difficult to make good use of asynchronous i/o.
--
David J. Heisterberg		djh at osc.edu		And you all know
The Ohio Supercomputer Center	djh at ohstpy.bitnet	security Is mortals'