parallel large sparse block tridiagonal linear system solver

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Fri Sep 14 02:23:49 AEST 1990

> On 12 Sep 90 16:06:54 GMT, matt at cs.city.ac.uk (Matthew Sillitoe) said:

> In article <90253.160421CGH102 at psuvm.psu.edu> CGH102 at psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>> Can anybody tell me where I can find a parallel linear system solver
>> for large sparse block tridiagonal matrix working on Cray or
>> any other systems?

> Never mind that ! Can anyone tell me *what* a P.L.S.S.f.L.S.B.T.M is ?
> Can anyone name a longer name for a piece of software ?
> Is this guy for real ?

Block tridiagonal matrices arise naturally from the discretization of
linear elliptic partial differential equations in two or more spatial
dimensions.  *LOTS* of supercomputer time around the world is used to
solve such systems.

Obviously the poster wants a parallel version to speed up his/her code
on a multi-cpu Cray.  Nothing strange about this at all.  In fact, I
would like to have access to such a code myself.

I have a direct solver called 'croprt.f' which is available by
anonymous ftp from ftp.fsu.edu in pub/mathlibs/croprt.f.  I have never
tried multitasking it....

> PS Ignore my ignorance !

Since you knew of your ignorance, why did you bother to waste the
net.bandwidth?

As Mark Twain so aptly said,

 "It is better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to
			open it and remove all doubt."
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin at vax1.udel.edu
College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET