Wierd Telnet/Telnetd problem with Irix 3.3.1 and/or Unicos 5.1.10

Adam W. Feigin adam at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Sep 20 03:50:07 AEST 1990

I just upgraded our Iris 4d machines to Irix 3.3.1, and I've got this
bizzare bug/interaction with telnet and terminal characteristics, and
I'm wondering where the problem is, and if anyone has seen this
behavior before.

>From an Iris 4D machine, if I telnet into a Cray (X/MP, Unicos
5.1.10), my terminal characteristics get all screwed up:

csh[30]:stty
speed 9600 baud; -parity hupcl
intr = b; quit = b; erase = ^b; kill = ^b; eof = ^b; swtch = ^`;
-inpck icrnl onlcr tab3
echo echoe echok

They were fine before I telnett'd in; Now, after I log out of the
Cray, and get back to the local system (Iris):

csh[49]:stty
speed 38400 baud; -parity
line = 1; intr = -b; quit = -b; erase = -^B; kill = -^B; eof = -^B; swtch = -B;
lnext = -^B; werase = -^B; rprnt = -^B; flush = -^B; stop = -^B; start = -^B;
brkint -inpck icrnl ixoff onlcr
echo echoe echok

And my terminal characteristics are screwed up on the local machine,
even though they were fine before I telnet'd to the Cray.

Rsh seems to work without screwing up the terminal characteristics.
I'm certain this is a bug, but who is responsible for it ? Has anybody
seen this behavior with their Iris's and Crays ?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

								AWF