Unix for a 386.

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Mon Aug 21 13:10:56 AEST 1989

In article <2111 at infmx.UUCP> aland at infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
|In article <36325 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd at buit15.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
|>You can get a mostly-complete version of Interactive for about $1000.
|
|Where have you seen 386/ix for this price?  Please let me know.

I called them and told them I needed a 2-user development system with
networking (ie TCP/IP) and X11R3.  They told me that they sold a
"Workstation" package which should do what I need, and the cost was
something like $1100.  This omits troff and NFS, which will cost a bit
more.  It may also omit VP/ix but that's worthless to me so I didn't
ask.

I expect that by poking around retailers you can get better prices
than list, although I haven't tried it yet.

|Reference: Interactive 386/ix Suggested List Prices, 1/89.

Eight months is a long time in this business :-).

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com