Help with Interactive and news

Al Evans al at inebriae.UUCP
Wed Aug 30 00:39:47 AEST 1989

In article <1086 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <2069 at kodak.UUCP>, mark at kodak.UUCP (Mark Hilliard) writes:
>> [statement that he can't get news to compile]
>
>David Raines posted the following to the net a while back-------
>
>I got the source for bnews-2.11 from UUNET.  Other than the standard
>localize.sh changes for USG/SysV, the only thing that wouldn,t compile
>was virtterm.c.   Add the following includes:
>
>	#include <sys/stream.h>
>	#include <sys/ptem.h>
>
>The 'winsize' structure is defined in ptem.h, which is dependent on stream.h.
>Apparently this is a change from earlier versions.

I just finished fighting with this for a couple of days. The problem is that
unless you have Streams installed, you don't HAVE ptem.h. While termio.h
defines the ioctl call TIOCGWINSZ, the data structure needed as a parameter
to that call is defined elsewhere. Nasty. The problem didn't exist under
1.0.6, because TIOCGWINSZ wasn't defined in termio.h.

The simplest solution I found was to add a line in virtterm.c, right after

#ifdef USG

saying

#undef TIOCGWINSZ

I guess to be correct about it, you really should add the necessary
edit instruction to your localize script.
Anyway, this seems to work just fine.
					--Al Evans--
--
Al Evans    {tntdev,texbell,ssbn}!inebriae!al
            al at inebriae.WLK.COM