Unix for a 386.

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 23 07:51:05 AEST 1989

In article <31898 at ism780c.isc.com> darryl at ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) writes:
>offer an upgrade path, but if we do, I'm sure we send out a whole new
>system and ask you to do an upgrade installation, which will replace
>most of your system files and require you to reconfigure the kernel to
>your hardware.  *That* is a hassle.

Microport's "Unlimited user upgrade" consists of a single disk which
when installed with "installit" will modify the system in place to
accept more than 2 users.  It will not destroy any user-modifiable
files, and it can be backed out (by hand, not automatically).  Sure,
this makes it easy to buy 2 dozen limited systems and one ultd upgrade,
but we figured that the risk of someone doing that (when it was a direct
violation of the licensing agreement) was acceptable when compared
to the pain of making the user reinstall the whole system.

    -John Plocher