Wyse 60s (was Re: DOS-Over-UNIX from non-console ttys)

Chris Lewis clewis at eci386.uucp
Sat Aug 26 04:27:26 AEST 1989

People have been making noises about Wyse60 reliability.  A comment:

I've been working with wyse60's for about 2 and a half years, and
have known about 60 of them over this time.

I like them a lot, though a few people I know (Hi Greg!) aren't particularly
fond of the wyse60 command set w.r.t. terminfo etc and some relatively
minor (to me, not Greg) botches.  (Greg sets his wyse60's to vt100 mode - then
again he uses *emacs* (gasp ;-)).

Two years ago, the wyse60's perceived reliability was very good - not a single
failure in a couple dozen or so over 18 months.  Some distributors in our area
are shipping 10's of thousands per year.

Lately, however, quality control appears to have disappeared.  We've been
getting DOA rates in excess of 25% of new installs, and >50% after three
months.  Not to mention the wyse60 I once installed that looked like somebody
had rammed a spear into the keyboard jack (without *any* damage to the
packaging - how on earth did this happen????   Don't they test them
anymore???)...

One particularly annoying terminal has had its keyboard replaced 4 times,
and goes into brain-dead mode if it's left on for more than a couple of hours -
and the monitor has been repaired once or twice.  Damn thing is still busted.

Frankly, pure junk now.

Until Wyse gets their QA working again, I don't recommend wyse60's.

Not at all.

[Makes you wonder whether QA isn't actively sabotaging the things]
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis