uucico problem with flow control

Jonathan E. Quist jeq at laidbak.UUCP
Wed Aug 16 01:25:58 AEST 1989

In article <208 at bulus3.BMA.COM> haugen at bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>I recently have been having problems with uucico having problems receiving
>large files from my news feed.  When run with Uutry, I see bunches of
>"alarm " messages and eventually the transfer fails.
>
>My suspicion is flow control is not being used/set up correctly by uucico.
>This in turn is causing a loss of data.
>
>My modem is a Telebit TrailBlazerPlus/T200 set to run at 9600 baud and to use
>XON/XOFF flow control.  My OS is 386ix 2.0.2 from Interactive Systems.

This is your problem.  Uucp sends raw binary data.  Unless the compression
scheme used by netnews guarantees no XON/XOFF characters in the data
stream, the data file being transferred may trigger flow control
on anything in the data link that's checking for it.  Even if you
are sending plain text, the packet headers used in the uucp protocol
will eventually generate an XOFF (control-S) character, which will stop
the whole works.  Set everything that's settable for no XON/XOFF,
and it should work.  Any data errors will be caught and corrected
by the uucp protocol.

Jonathan Quist
Interactive Systems Corporation
Naperville, IL