Acceptable Unix Configuration?

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Mon Aug 21 13:34:59 AEST 1989

In article <459 at telesoft.telesoft.com> dar at telesoft.telesoft.com (David Reisner) writes:
|	AST 386c - 20MHz, 4M RAM, Adaptec 1540 SCSI host adapter,
|	Micropolis 1375 150M disk, Video-7 VRAM VGA 512k, and Sony
|	1304 monitor (or similar (NEC 4D?));  Interactive 386/ix
|	with X11.3 (w/ special price on 386/ix).
|	~$6500 for the whole thing, from a good, local dealer.
|
|My main goal for the system is running Unix and X in a pleasant manner,
|and with minimum hassles.
|
|	- Will it work at all?  How does it perform?

I can't answer that, but you'll want at LEAST 8mb if you're running X.
4mb works but is not "pleasant".  The whole thing should work if ISC
supports the SCSI, but I don't know that offhand.  The X server that
ISC has is limited to 16 colors regardless of VGA capability.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com