Help with Interactive and news

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at aber-cs.UUCP
Tue Aug 29 20:09:11 AEST 1989

In article <1086 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
    In article <2069 at kodak.UUCP>, mark at kodak.UUCP (Mark Hilliard) writes:
    > Has anyone gotten news to compile properly on Interactives 2.02?
    > I have been trying all day and keep getting the following error messages.
    > Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

    David Raines posted the following to the net a while back-------

    I got the source for bnews-2.11 from UUNET.  Other than the standard
    localize.sh changes for USG/SysV, the only thing that wouldn,t compile
    was virtterm.c.   Add the following includes:

    	#include <sys/stream.h>
    	#include <sys/ptem.h>

    The 'winsize' structure is defined in ptem.h, which is dependent on stream.h.
    Apparently this is a change from earlier versions.

Actually the better course is to do a '#undef TIOCGWINSZ'; on a stock 386/ix
the window size is fixed... Actually I don't like the idea of including into
user level programs headers, like <sys/stream.h>, that contain kernel level
declarations. AT&T ought to be less sloppy and surround the kernel only
parts of such headers with a nice #ifdef KERNEL. Name space pollution? No
thanks!
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk