Acceptable Unix Configuration?

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Fri Aug 25 08:37:00 AEST 1989

Yes, it is the AHA-1542A that has the floppy controller on the adapter.
I would recommend another choice for hard drives.  My personal preference
in the 150MB capacity range is the CDC Wren V HH.  Formats to about
172MB and has a better transfer rate than the Micropolis and less overhead
also.  Just make sure you ask if the read ahead buffer is enabled.  By
default, CDC ships their products with read ahead disabled.  It is only
controllable via software, but can be set permanently.  There is a 400%
difference in the performance when read ahead is enabled.  Again, this
is just my personal preference.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese