How many users _really_ ?

Fred Rump from home fr at icdi10.UUCP
Wed Aug 9 07:34:14 AEST 1989

In article <14760 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
->In article <1989Jun27.074031.11661 at specialix.co.uk> jpp at specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
->Perhaps a better question is "How many 30+ user 386 systems do you
->know that run (period)."
->
->How many CONCURRENT users ( of typical office automation software )
->can you respectfully support on a '386 PC ? I know this is vauge and
->will vary considerably depending on the configuration but anyone want
->to give it a shot ?

While we have several 32 user systems out there based upon 16MB 15MhZ boxes
without cache but with Corollary smart cards, we don't have 32 terminals
attached as of yet. Users wanted the ability to add as needed without further
hardware modifications. Without having all the facts at hand I believe 16 to
20 terminals is the most actually installed. Of these I would suspect that
they are used only as needed for relatively short durations. I.E. folks are not
sitting there hacking away at their terminals all day. But the convenience of
having the terminal at the desk is the key ingredient that makes it all so
worth while.

Without having done any real benchmarks 8 to 10 people seem to have negligible
degradation. That also seems to be the limit of what our users require in the
small business marketplace.

Most 386 boxes leave here configured for 8 users. There have never been any
speed complaints.
Fred

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr