ESDI controller recommendations

Brad Templeton brad at looking.on.ca
Sat Aug 26 15:21:46 AEST 1989

While cylinder or track caching is an eminently sensible idea that I
have been waiting to see for a long time, what is the point in the
controller or drive sotring more than that?

Surely it makes more sense for the OS to do all other cache duties.
Why put the 512K in your drive when you can put it in your system and
bump your cache there?   Other than the CPU overhead of maintaining the
cache within the OS, I mean.  I would assume the benefit from having
the cache maintained by software that knows a bit about what's going
on would outweigh this.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473