Unix for a 386.

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Wed Aug 23 13:03:37 AEST 1989

>From article <1790 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, by davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com (ody):
> In article <7186 at megatest.UUCP> palowoda at megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>
> |   Some companies (like SCO) sell a two user version with no upgrade path.
> |   Remeber the days when unix came as real *unlimited* user system with
> |   no other standard.
>
>   Please quote your source for this statement, such as an order number.
> I ordered about 40 copies of Xenix over the years, and I have not seen
> any such version. If it's available it would be useful, if it's false
> you should correct yourself.

   Ross Oliver (SCO Tech Support) posted it about a month or two on
   the net. If I remember correct, there was a student asking about
   a "cheap" version of Xenix. Than Ross posted a message that
   he checked on it and there was no upgrade path.

> |   [pass me the flame thrower please]
> |   What happen some got in there and said here's a
> |   good market trick.
> |
> |   [FLAME ON!!]

    Arrgh! Two spelling errors. :-() How embarrassing.

>   Someone noticed that UNIX was being run on all these little machines,
> and that it would be nice for a single user PDP-11 to be able to have a
> less expensive license, with one user being the console and one for
> remote use. Is there something wrong with the idea of having a cheaper
> version of something which satisfies the needs of many users at a lower
> price? Why the flame?

   For some reason I though that UNIX was designed as a unlimited
multi-user, multi-tasking OS. If you take your idea a little further
they could sell UNIX with a limited process table even cheaper.
It's just an opionon anyway, but I just view it as good start
for the marketing pea shuffle game. Will find out what happens to the future
releases. If they wanted to sell a cheaper version why didn't they
just reduce the price of the *unlimited* version.

  There is nothing I can do about the priceing policy. As my
company buys 40+ copies of UNIX/XENIX a year I can at least
throw my .02 in.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400