UNIX/XENIX binaries on XENIX/UNIX systems

News Administrator clay at uci.UUCP
Wed Aug 23 13:10:21 AEST 1989

In article <7227 at megatest.UUCP>, palowoda at megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>   If it going to be compiled with MSC that it's got to go through
>   the 286/386 emulator and that slows things down. At least I
>   notice it. It would be great if SCO offers packages compiled
>   with your choice of compilier.
>
>   ---Bob

I knew that (on uport, at least) an emlulator was used to run 286 binaries
of any type.  But is an emulator used for 386 code?  I'm running uport's
Text Processing system under XENIX 386 2.3.1 now with no performance hits,
as well as binaries I compile up under Green Hills C.

On the opposite side, at work we're running some XENIX 386 code under ISC
with no noticeable performance hits.  Not sure about the 286 binaries, tho...

What we HAVE decided is that this binary compatibility stuff is a GREAT idea.

--
Clayton Haapala                ...!mmm!dicome!uci!clay
Unified Communications Inc.