SCO MicroSoft C Compiler comments

Bob Palowoda palowoda at megatest.UUCP
Tue Aug 29 18:03:05 AEST 1989

>From article <196 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, by davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr):
>
>   Before I bought Xenix for my home machine I got copies of Xenix/386,
> ix/386 and MicroPort. The Xenix compiler was best in overall speed and
> did not have any internal failures. Both MP and ix had some cases in
> which the C compiler would generate code which the assembler couldn't
> handle, using registers not in the 386 (R10 and R11 are PDP-11).

 Well this is something I could live with *when* I run into it. I must
 have compilied 20meg of misc c code and still haven't seen this.
 I'm useing the ESIX C compiler.

>   Trying later versions I find that the MSC compiler still produces
> better code by a small margin, although not all you might be led to
> believe from the ads ;-)

  I agree that there optimizer is better. But when I turn on the
  loop-optimizer in Xenix MSC it produces "space-kadet loops".
  Runtime problems really bother me like this because no matter
  how well you QA your software there is a good chance this gets
  through the pipe. This *I* can accept, but when my customers
  run into it gets really messy.

  I would be interested to know what 386 Utilities on Xenix are
  still compilied with the 286 compiler. Can someone do a
  file * on the /bin and /usr/bin directories and pipe me the
  output.

  Also is the lib files for Xenix386 created with the optimizer
  turned on?  In SCO UNIX?

   ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda