3167 and 387

Steven H. Izen izen at amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 30 07:29:07 AEST 1989

I have a Compaq Deskpro 386/20 which has both a 3167 and a 387 in it.  In order
to take advantage of the Weitek 3167 I have been using MicroWays's c and
Fortran compilers.  However, the 1167 (used for the 3167) math libraries
supplied by both ISC and MicroWay are incomplete.  In particular drand48 does
not appear in either version of libm1167.a.

	As a result, I have been looking for a way to use a subroutine which
uses the 387 for its floating point calculations while the calling routine uses
the 3167.  If I naively link two such subroutines together, I get a floating
point exception at run time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I expect that this will also be a problem if I attempt to link any 3167
application to the Xlib routines provided by ISC, but I haven't tried that one
yet.  (Any ISC techies out there--Do you think it would be possible to obtain a
version of Xlib compiled to use the 3167?)

Thanx in advance.

Steve Izen
--
Steve Izen: {sun,decvax,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve
or steve%izen386.uucp at skybridge.scl.cwru.edu
or izen at cwru.cwru.edu