386/ix hd configure problem. HELP!

Stan Voket asv at gaboon.UUCP
Mon Aug 28 00:07:43 AEST 1989

Perhaps someone could shed some light on configurating Interactive
386/ix with a WD1007A-WA2 ESDI controller and a CDC/Imprimis 442 Meg
drive.

The problem:

    Installing 386/ix on Disks/Controllers with more than 1024 Cylinders.

I know I can utilized all 1412 cylinders, it says so in the manual.  I
"RTFM" but still have a case of "brain lock" here.

I tried two of the "logical" drive configurations on the WD
controller.  that seem to make the drive "look" like it has 1023
cylinders.

I tried several partitioning schemes as is suggested by the manual but
it was getting very late.  After several lengthly (hours!) attempts I finally
went with the default: Partition 1, unix, 100%, just to get things up and
runing.  This used less than half of the drive.  I'd sure like to do
this right the next time!

Has anyone used this controller/disk combination?  (or other greater
than 1024 cylinder disk) If so I'm interesed in how you configured
things to utilize the entire hard disk for unix.  Any help,
criticisms, and/or war stories will be greatly appreciated!

This topic may be of general interest.  Please e-mail any responses
and I'll post a summary to the net.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.