networking under SimulTask (long)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Dec 17 13:39:37 AEST 1989

In article <4373 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee at cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:
>In addition,  If you are running StarGROUP software over
>StarLAN networking cards, there is an item known as the
>"Simultask NETBIOS Client Interface Program."
[...]
>It also provides file and record locking to Simultask
>applications if you've been looking for that.  Presumably, you'd
>have to link to an MSDOS server to share the disk areas, but
>it could be made available to Simultask users through the
>NETBIOS program.

Do you know if this will fix the problems encountered when trying
to run WP5.0 (or other network-aware programs) under VP/ix?  If
so, does it work locally or do you actually have to have a DOS
network link to another machine?  Also, does it allow print jobs
to be automatically despooled when the printer device is closed
or do you still have to pop up the stupid VP/ix menu?

For the record, I'm in an office with 3B2 and 386 (unix) machines
running the Starlan DOS server program.  Most of the users have PC's
with the client software.  I use a 386 (unix) for development and
a console for administration.  I keep most of the other machines
RFS mounted into mine and usually have several remote logins using
the virtual terminals.  All this works just fine, but I'd like to
also be able to access the files via DOS under VP/ix on the same
machine.  Currently, there are enough quirks in VP/ix that I have to
keep a second machine in my office just to run an occasional DOS program
and know that it will work the same as when someone else runs it.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us