Adaptec AHA1542 SCSI controller & high-speed CPUs

Chuck Forsberg caf at omen.UUCP
Thu Dec 14 01:59:25 AEST 1989

I am running a 1542A on a 33 mHz Micronics motherboard, SCO Unix,
CDC Wren V.  With the Wren's track buffer turned on, I get slightly
better than 500 kbytes/sec on large file reads (cp bigfile /dev/null).

Three problems so far:

1.  Orchid Pro Designer Plus SVGA and 1542A will not coexist.
I've tried several different BIOS addresses on the 1542A and
both 8 and 16 bit modes on the Orchid to no avail.  The Orchid
also bollixes the tape controller, so I don't know who's at
fault here.

2. The Adaptec program to turn on the track buffer wouldn't run on
a 1540 unless the computer was slowed to 6 mHz.  I haven't tried the
prog with the 1542A.

3.  In switching from the 1540 to 1542, the old DOS partition
was readable by both but the Xenix partitions were not.
Why???

Obviously none of these were serious problems (it was about
time to change to the Acer Fast File System anyway).

With the current SCO Unix, I have not lost any files (that I know of)
despite numberous power dips, etc.  "Your mileage may vary."