Northgate Elegance 386 33Mhz for UNIX + X Windows

Nabajyoti Barkakati naba at grebyn.com
Wed Dec 6 11:39:12 AEST 1989

    I am planning to buy a Northgate Elegance 386 33 MHz system
to run UNIX and the X Window System (most likely ISC's 386/ix).
The system is advertised heavily (in PC Magazine, Byte, PC World,
Infoworld) and includes the following:

    o 4MB RAM
    o 150MB ESDI hard disk
    o 64K cache SRAM
    o 3.5" 1.44MB and 5.25" 1.2MB diskette drives
    o 14" VGA Color Monitor (800x600 resolution)
      with a 16-bit controller
    o 2 serial ports and 1 parallel port

    I would appreciate hearing from others with experience (good
or bad) in using this setup for X Window-based development.  I'll
summarize any e-mail responses.  I'll also check comp.unix.i386
and comp.windows.x for replies.

    Thanks!

    -- Naba Barkakati
       naba at grebyn.com