YASPP (Yet another serial port problem)

News Administrator news at brian386.uucp
Sat Dec 30 04:26:24 AEST 1989

mjs at cbnews.ATT.COM (martin.j.shannon) writes:

>In article <10740 at attctc.Dallas.TX.US> cassidy at attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Cassidy Lynar) writes:
>>Hi, I am having problems *still* trying to bring up a third serial port
>>on my system.

[ deleted ]

>>Ok, here is the actual problem, the kernel builds fine, getty spawns
>>fine, but the probs are 1) the getty process becomes a non-killable process
>>			2) when I cat foo >> /dev/tty02, the terminal on the
>>other end, receives the data at a smoking 1 cps or less.

>That's a symptom I recognize: the ASY driver is not getting interrupts
>from that card.  The only reason you get any output at all is the 1-second
>sanity timer used to deal with missed interrupts on heavily loaded machines.

[ deleted ]

I am having the same problem.  Except I am using a non-intelligent
digiboard for my system.  I tried configuring all the ports on the same
interrupt, and had identical results.  So then I tried only two of the
ports, on two different interrupts.  Still the same problem, what do you
think could be wrong with mine ;-)  Interractive said their driver
might not be fast enough to handle 4 ports on the same interrupt, since
it checks all ports each time an interrupt is received.  But this
doesn't explain why the second configuration had the problem.

	brian

--
Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
                                    | when you knock, equally spaced amid
Disclaimer: I don't think they even | those that open when you don't want
            admit I work here.      | them to. - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"