8 megs with ISC 2.02

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Dec 31 22:32:34 AEST 1989

In article <511109 at nstar.UUCP>, larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> Why is ISC distributing the same file for /etc/conf/kconf.d/params.4MB
> and /etc/conf/kconf.d/params.8MB?  This seems really stupid.

Probably because once you reach 4 MB you have enough memory to enable enough
buffering, etc. for normal use of the system.  They probably left the files
separate so that in the future they could modify the higher parms files once
they got some feedback on what was usefull.

When I used the sample configuration, before configuring a new kernel I still
modified the configuration to meet with my needs.   I did things like increasing
the number of processes (both system wide and per user), etc.

I don't think they were being stupid, they were allowing for future changes
where the .4, .8, and/or .16 MB files may be different.